How to clean your tile grout
Question: How do I clean the grout between my tiles? - Jim Kennedy
Hi Jim, thanks for the question. And it's a popular one! Here are the steps to take to clean your tile grout, brought to you by the Indianapolis home experts, Gettum Associates Inc.
- Step 1: While cleaning (steps 3 through 5), be sure to wear rubber or latex gloves and safety goggles, and throw open the windows to avoid exposure to the harsh chemical fumes of bleach-containing solutions.
- Step 2: Spray on a commercial grout cleaner or a heavy-duty all-purpose cleaning solution with bleach. Wait for several minutes
- Step 3: Scrub the grout with a stiff scrub brush or a grout brush, then rinse thoroughly.
- Step 4: Blast mold, mildew or stubborn stains with a bleach-containing cleanser, or make your own using 1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) chlorine bleach and 1 qt. (32 fl oz/1 l) warm water. Let the disinfectant sit at least 10 minutes to thoroughly kill the mold and mildew.
- Step 5: Scrub the grout with a stiff brush or a grout brush, rinse, then dry with a white towel or paper towels.
Do you have questions about how to maintain your Indianapolis area home? If so, you can ask the Indianpolis home experts by clicking below: